Piano Waves were inspired by the composer’s fond memories of the sea in all its guises, whilst giving piano recitals on ships. Five pieces represent a plethora of modern Contemporary styles, combining wistful tunes and poignant harmonies, with various technical challenges for the intermediate student.
Tap on the link to read supplement notes written by the composer for each piece.
- Seahorse Dream portrays the Seahorse’s initially peaceful slumber, but after a while, the creature is suddenly awoken by a vivid memory, before dozing off again.
- Waltz on a Sunken Ship is an eerie, underwater peek at a handsome passenger ship at the bottom of the sea, complete with faded yet elegant dining rooms and dance halls, depicting scenes of yesteryear.
- Ocean Surge reveals the power and beauty of the sea; the climactic cascades characterise the colossal swell of the waves.
- Asilomar is a ‘refuge by the sea’; the overall calm, joyous feel of this work, might suggest a leisurely hot afternoon admiring the ocean from the shore.
- The Flying Dutchman represents a mythical ghost ship, always sailing but never quite reaching land; a shadowy, apparition of a ship, continuously moving on in the distance.
EVC Music Publications Ltd
Copyrights © 2016