Piano Waves were inspired by the composer’s fond memories of the sea in all its guises, whilst giving piano recitals on ships. Five pieces represent a plethora of modern Contemporary styles, combining wistful tunes and poignant harmonies, with various technical challenges for the intermediate student.
- Seahorse Dream portrays the Seahorse’s initially peaceful slumber, but after a while, the creature is suddenly awoken by a vivid memory, before dozing off again.
- Waltz on a Sunken Ship is an eerie, underwater peek at a handsome passenger ship at the bottom of the sea, complete with faded yet elegant dining rooms and dance halls, depicting scenes of yesteryear.
- Ocean Surge reveals the power and beauty of the sea; the climactic cascades characterise the colossal swell of the waves.
- Asilomar is a ‘refuge by the sea’; the overall calm, joyous feel of this work, might suggest a leisurely hot afternoon admiring the ocean from the shore.
- The Flying Dutchman represents a mythical ghost ship, always sailing but never quite reaching land; a shadowy, apparition of a ship, continuously moving on in the distance.
Piano For Fun series view >
Will be added soon.
Click on the link to watch Melanie Spanswick playing on YouTube view >
EVC Music Publications Ltd
Copyrights © 2016